Friday, December 29, 2023

Effective Literacy Website #4 by Jeanmarie Cruz

READING RAINBOWS


            Growing up without cable TV, the main channel that I watched as a young girl was PBS. Reading Rainbows is one of the earliest TV shows I remember watching. To my surprise, it is still around and has remained a valuable resource for students, teachers and parents everywhere. Reading Rainbow is a TV program that encourages children to be passionate readers. While production ended in 2006, their website remains active, and episodes can be viewed from their website or their YouTube channel. They will also be reviving the show as Reading Rainbow LIVE, an interactive book event.  

On top of videos and stories, readingrainbow.org offers resources for teachers and parents. The website offers different activities that you can do with your students or children after watching the episodes. After clicking the link for the activity, it will redirect you to the PBS learning website where you will find the online activity and local or state standards that apply. Reading Rainbow is one of my earliest memories of TV and fostered my interest in reading as a child. After reviewing their website, I look forward to using it as a tool in my classroom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ciera’s Farewell

Just like that fall intersession is over and spring semester is approaching. I had a great time reading through everyone’s literacy reviews....